×

Ice Cream

As much as I enjoy ice cream, I have never tried to make one until recently. I had this terrible crave for ice cream at a time when all the ice cream shops had long closed for the day. It was late in the night and I wasn't permitted to roam round town in search of ice cream.

I felt super sad like I was being denied a fundamental human right until it occurred to me, "why have I never tried to make ice cream?" "Is it rocket science or I'm just not interested?" With this brainstorming on board, I switched from craving ice cream for the night to desiring the knowledge to make any ice cream I desire.

I started my homework, got books for study and equipment and ingredients for practice. After a week of dedicated research, I was set to try my first experiment.

My first trial was on chocolate ice cream, got my custard right but my whipping cream was store bought and so I didn't achieve the right consistency after mixing. This meant my ice cream had to chill longer in the fridge for it to firm up as expected.

Next ice cream was rum and raisin and I prepared both the custard and whipping cream myself but the challenge I experienced was with my ice cream machine. It was churning very slowly for a new machine, so I switched to making the ice cream by hand and this involved periodic stirring and chilling.

After all the worthy effort and lessons learnt, I finally had ice cream for my pleasure and with every scoop I reassured myself that all I went through to make this creamy goodness was worth it.

Behold, my chocolate vs rum and raisins ice cream topped with wafers and funfetti sprinkles, beautifully seated in it's calorie laden glory.

In subsequent trials, I definitely would do better😊



Comments