×

Cooking Reflex

Reflex actions are not limited to stimuli response, it happens with cooking and meal choices.

If there is any meal I can make without any planning, it's coconut rice. My preparation of coconut rice feels almost automatic that I think it's my reflex to the thought of cooking.

In a world where there are variants of ready-made coconut milk packed in different sizes of tins and sachets, my preferred coconut milk for making this rice is the one I extract from an actual coconut. You would think a millennial like me would go for the easy, comfortable processed milk options but maybe I have this thing for stress 🤣.

Since preserving an actual coconut is tricky for me as I need to ensure a lot of right conditions to prolong its shelf life, I usually extract a good quantity of coconut milk from a batch of coconut and just leave it in the fridge for use when I desire. This way, whenever hunger comes calling, I can have coconut rice ready in minutes.

My favorite condiments for coconut rice are ground crayfish, onions, and fresh pepper. No matter what else would eventually join the pot or finished plate, that trio is always constant. Apart from the rich creamy taste of coconut milk which is very vital to achieving a silky treacly tasting coconut rice, I've found it more delicious when the additions of those three are generous.

To be honest, the best part of coconut rice remains the crust at the bottom of the pot. It always seems as though all the ingredients convene for a general meeting at the base while the pot is cooking.

Smoked fish, steamed prawns, grilled croaker, dried chevon, fried chicken, and Moi-Moi (beans pudding) are a few of the many things I love to enjoy my coconut rice with.

What is your cooking reflex? 









Comments