×

Mama Put

"Mama Put"

Have you yet seen this word in the English dictionary?

You should already especially since news had it in year 2020 that Oxford Dictionary made some additions to it's revised version to capture some Nigerian words like Mama Put.

This post is not about the definition of the word, it is rather a relive of my experience of the word. It seems as if the memory of eating from this roadside food cart wheeled by women was almost a routine at one stage of my life. 

The details of the uneventful days that led to me being a regular face at a Mama Put stand is not a palatable feeling like the light rice, boiled beans and red stew served with fried ice fish I enjoyed as lunch during this period.

This Mama Put vendors are notorious for serving such nice treats in portions that no matter how plenty can never indeed satisfy. The rice is cooked with much water and drained once tender, the beans are boiled to perfect softness and the stew is never wrong in flavour and texture.

Their stew protein options range from fried mackerel, to fried beef and soft boiled cowhide AKA Ponmo. My favorite of the lot was of course the fish and for a month in my life I had this lunch on repeat.

Reminiscing the taste of those meals sent me on the errand of replicating my Mama Put favourite in the fashion I did. While their boiled beans is usually served on the side, I wanted mine to be incorporated with the rice so that each morsel will give a good blend of the individual components.

You can decide to patronize Mama Put or you can choose to replicate them, depending on my situation, I can do both😁



Comments

  1. They don't call it mama put for no reason. You'll just keep asking Mama put to put more😂😂.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's intentionally unsatisfying

      Delete
  2. Mama Put. Obviously women have bin winning this cooking stuff since tipe tipe........ can never be a Papa put!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always "Mama" Put... Another prefix doesn't rhyme 😂

      Delete

Post a Comment