×

Zucchini Bread

My parents are great lovers of anything prepared by me but being away from them geographically has denied them the pleasure of enjoying my treats. I had a good opportunity to send something baked to them and I decided I was going to make zucchini bread for them.

I never knew of zucchini bread until I read the book "Bread of Life" authored by Abigail Dodds and since zucchini is not locally grown in my environment, I had no idea what it looked like and this, dear reader is where I made my mistake. 

Usually, when I come across anything I don't know especially related to food and baking, I google it up, see images, read articles, you know, do a little research until I'm convinced of my knowledge but with the whole excitement of baking for my parents, I hurried to the mall, got the ingredients I needed and bought something the mall attendant suggested was zucchini only to get home, prepare my stuffs for baking and then learn I got cantaloupe instead of zucchini 😭😭😭.

Long story short, I aborted my mission, lost the window of sending something baked to my parents and got busy learning about zucchini. It was a hard way to learn but the experience did me well. I finally bought the real zucchini AKA baby marrows and with it I made this wholesome bread.

Zucchini is a versatile squash generally rich in nutrients and gives more of vitamin C when eaten raw and more vitamin A when cooked. Also, the phytonutrients lutein and zeaxanthin it contains promotes healthy eye sight and it may offer several health benefits, ranging from improved digestion to a lower risk of heart disease. 

Although eating zucchini bread doesn't equal eating an actual zucchini as one may need to eat lots of slices to harness the nutrient of one whole zucchini, having this bread is more satisfying and nourishing than a regular plain bread.

Don't make my mistakes, trust but verify and first do your research before shopping.

Cheers!!!



Comments