×

Break the Bias

March 8 is internationally recognized as womens day. This year's theme “Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow”, recognizes the contribution of women and girls who are leading the charge on climate change adaptation, mitigation, and response, to build a more sustainable future.

According to UNESCO, "International Women's Day is an occasion to celebrate the progress made towards achieving gender equality and women's empowerment but also to critically reflect on those accomplishments and strive for a greater momentum towards gender equality worldwide. It is a day to recognize the extraordinary acts of women and to stand together, as a united force, to advance gender equality around the world.”

As a woman and  kitchen figure, my participation and leadership  in sustainability initiatives can result in a more positive climate action. One of my greatest contributions to the environment is through the food I buy, cook and eat.

 Being a woman committed to the objectives of the IWD, I have a part to play in building a sustainable future through my cooking and baking processes. A few of my contributions among other things would be to maintain the use of modern cooking methods and practice clean cooking as often as possible in line with The UN millennium development goals agreed on in year 2000 and the Paris agreement on climate change.

I would cultivate a zero tolerance for food waste and seek creative ways to use leftovers. Also, I would promote plant based meal options by buying and cooking majorly plant grown foods and making them the key elements of my dishes.

Through the treats I prepare and serve, I can lead effective changes in the habits around me. I will not stop at being passionate about what I do, I will educate and sensitize those older and younger to adopt these environmental friendly practices.

To celebrate this day, see below what I did with the left overs of my chicken stew and the other a complete plant based pottage using vegetables. With these and many little efforts like buying only the foodstuffs we need at the time, we can build a sustainable tomorrow.

Break the Bias - the duty of preserving our environment is not for men alone. Choose to be a woman at the center of climate action as climate change is not the change we are looking for. Let's save this planet, it's the only one with good food and bakes




Comments